TJ Sanner Glen Burnie, MD

TJ Sanner, Chief Operating Officer

I have been a lifelong resident of Anne Arundel County except when I attended University of Maryland Baltimore County for Mechanical Engineering. I also attended the University of Maryland University College for Finance. Even though I’ve never used either of those educations directly, I feel they have added a tremendous amount of value and knowledge to my life. I have been the Assistant Harbormaster at Gibson Island Yacht Squadron since 2006 and have worked there since I was 14-years-old alongside my father who has been there since 1984. I am a United States Coast Guard Captain with a 100-Ton Masters License and have been a captain since I was 20 years old.

I am an avid hunter and greatly enjoy my time outdoors. I’m also the owner and operator of Baydogs Waterfowl & Retriever Services where I specialize in guided waterfowl hunts and retriever training on the Chesapeake Bay. My wife (Dr. Laura Sanner) and I opened Atlas Physical Therapy in June 2016. Since then I’ve worn every hat except the PT hat. I’ve handled the front desk, tech (I was terrible), benefits coordinator, internal & external marketer, custodian, handyman, grocery getter, equipment acquirer, human resources, and COO. I am so grateful and proud for the amazing culture and network our Atlas family has created and love seeing our patients and extended Atlas Family out and about.

More importantly, I am a husband and father of 2 smart and beautiful daughters who are the perfect combination of my wife’s intelligence and good looks and my stubbornness. Our life revolves around them and Atlas right now, and I seem to lose track of time and blink and the year has passed. The best part of being a parent is the unsolicited “I love you Daddy” and hugs and kisses. I love experiencing things for the first time with them, and I also love the happiness even the smallest things mean to them like a pretty flower or “daddy cardinal” on our bird feeder.

My favorite failure in life was in 9th grade, the first day of high school. I showed up for 4th-period band and expected concert band like I was accustomed to since 4th grade when I began playing the saxophone. Instead, I was welcomed by a room of 40 kids eagerly working away loading and unloading instruments, not the first day of school class; these kids were well accustomed to this routine. Come to find out I was signed up for Marching Band and they were already a month into preparations for their Fall show. They practiced until 4:30pm every day (school let out at 1:55pm), and I was so confused. They asked what I played, I told the director saxophone, he said how about bass drum, I said what, and he handed me a bass drum. I called my mom to tell her I was staying after school, had no idea what was going on, she was confused and thought I was probably lying. One week later, my back hurt, I wanted to go home and sleep, ready to quit and not sure why I didn’t on day one. I called my mom again she said oh well you told them you’d play drums, see you after rehearsal. So give or take 7 years, 4 months, and 14 days later, I married the prettiest, smartest, girl I’d ever seen. Oh, she was a saxophone player by the way… Best. Failure. Ever.